Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Billy the "Bum"

I met Billy in the heart of downtown Nashville.

Windows down, music blaring, I was singing my heart out, driving 10 mph in a rental minivan along Broadway.

I had left my debit card at BB King's the night before.

Billy let out a belly laugh and shook his head.

In that moment, the large black garbage bag he carried on his back seemed to lighten. The weight of the world lifted for a moment.

"Where are you headed?" I asked.

"Just down the road," he replied through a scruffy beard and mustache.

"Hop in. Let me give you a ride."

I spotted golden arches up ahead.

"Are you hungry?" I asked.

He nodded but hung his head down, looking toward the floor mat.

I pulled into the drive-thru.

"What do you want?"

"Just a double cheeseburger is fine."

"Can I get a double quarter-pounder meal, please?"

I looked at Billy: "What do you want to drink?"

" A coke."

"Here you go." I handed the bag over and put the drink in the cup holder.

"Thank you."

Though he asked for a double cheeseburger, Billy devoured the double quarter-pounder in silence and polished off the large fry.

"Thank you."

"Where am I going?"

"You can just let me out here."

"Oh. Where are you going?"

I looked out of the window wondering if I was missing a house or an apartment complex nearby.

"My stuff is over here."

"Here where?"

"Just stashed nearby."

"Outside?"

"Yes."

"Where are you sleeping tonight?"

"I usually find a bench or somewhere safe to sleep."

"I live about 20-30 miles from here in Murfreesboro. You can stay there tonight, get a shower, if you want."

Five minutes later, Billy was loading another garbage bag into the minivan.

During the 20-minute drive, I learned that a homeless shelter isn't the safest place to hang your hat, especially if you have anything of value, sentimental or monetary.

I also learned that just a few months ago, Billy wasn't homeless. He lived in an apartment with his wife and a teenage son. A lost job and separation later, he was left with just his clothes and a few personal effects.

He didn't even have identification.

Nor did he have the few dollars it takes to replace those things. Nor did he have transportation to get them.

I let him use my spare bedroom; it had a private bathroom.

An hour later, I almost forgot he was there. He emerged from the bedroom with a freshly shaved face and bald head.

Billy cleaned up nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment